[Gllug] phone memory stick

Holger Duerer hduerer at gmx.net
Wed Jun 1 20:53:24 UTC 2005

>>>>> "Christopher" == Christopher Hunter <chrisehunter at blueyonder.co.uk> writes:

    Christopher> On Wednesday 01 Jun 2005 08:09, Alain Williams wrote:

    >>> You shouldn't be so hard on clueless sales-droids!  They will
    >>> tell you ANYTHING to make a sale, as their weekly pay is
    >>> directly proportional to their personal turnover.
    >>
    >> That is exactly WHY we should be hard on these people. Lying to
    >> get a sale is theft. Why should we tolerate it ? It isn't OK
    >> just because it happens a lot - think car, insurance, pension,
    >> ... salesmen.

  [...]

    Christopher> I understand your point of view, but it's really a
    Christopher> case of caveat emptor.

    Christopher> Anyone purchasing anything (particularly of a
    Christopher> technical nature) should have done their homework
    Christopher> first, so the specious bluster of a salesperson can
    Christopher> be completely ignored.
  [...]

That is one way to look at it:  Do the work yourself.  In general,
however, our society has progressed further by dividing labour, i.e. I
do what I am good at you do what you are good at.  This is a win-win
situation as we are both better off.

If enough clued-up people do as Alain, there will be an economic
incentive for sales people to do their job (i.e. advise the buyer
properly).  Far too many people act like you letting them get away
with it and thus leaving us with technical purchases at the
evolutionary level equivalent to everybody growing their own corn and
baking their own bread.

        Holger

P.S.: Yes, I know that the analogy with bread production is less than
      convincing here in Britain where people their Tesco-value
      'bread'. :-)
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk