[Gllug] ADSL upload speeds

Russell Howe rhowe at siksai.co.uk
Sun Jun 26 10:53:41 UTC 2005

On Sun, Jun 26, 2005 at 11:06:52AM +0100, Matthew Thompson wrote:
> Nildram managed to totally f*ck up my service a while back

Nildram have been rather odd with me the past 6 months. When I moved at
the start of December, I cancelled my account, then opened a new account
at my new place. When they realised I was a previous customer, they said
"oh, we can just reuse the same details - you'll get the same IP
addresses and everything". That seemed good to me, so I went with that.

They said they'd have to bill me for the next month, and then I would
get a rebate the month after to cover the period where I'd be
double-billed. Sounded fine to me.

However, they didn't seem to charge me for the new account until after
the old account was resolved.. this basically meant that in April I was
billed for the installation, the static IP address option and the
multiple IP address options for 6 months! (that was about £100-150 I
think).

Then, in May, they billed me for 6 months of DSL service, plus that
month's static IP address options and multiple IP address options.

I think both those unexpected large charges bounced, and so I was
talking to the credit control people. They said "oh, you moved? Well we
had a deal on where you can migrate service cheaply. I'll put in for a
rebate on that to cover the difference". This was quite cool, as I'd
billed work for the full installation fee. Still not had that rebate
though.

It was a bit annoying being stung for over £250 of DSL charges over 2
months though!

Their service seems mostly fine, although some of their trouble tickets
make you wonder...

They're not cheap though (although they are upgrading everyone to 2Mbit
and dropping charges next month - they've already dropped charges for
everyone, pending the upgrade).

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk