[Gllug] New hard disk needed - nearby suppliers?

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Fri Jun 10 08:23:27 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-06-09 at 22:15 +0100, Phil Reynolds wrote:
> I am in quite desperate need of a new hard disk for my main Linux system
> - probably looking for about 160Gb.
>
> I am hoping to obtain one tomorrow, and would therefore appreciate any
> recommendations as to a supplier in North Middlesex whose prices are
> good.
>
> It will be the first time I have done an upgrade since I started using
> grub as my bootloader, so any hints on how to handle that part of a hard
> disk upgrade would be very helpful.
Partition.  e2label the partitions. edit fstab to use labels
Mount partitions in appropriate place and rsync
rsync -avx good, as x does not cross filesystem boundaries
-avxn good too

grub --boot-disk=new disk --config-file=new file
(lilo had an option to do a chroot) Maybe my grub incantation is wrong.

Remove old disk. Put new disk on cable as master.
Remember to have a Knoppix CD handy for rescue when grub doesn't work.
Boot in Knoppix, mount your hard drive partitions, grub
Repeat

Trash not old disk till everything hunky-dory.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk