[Gllug] automatic networking scripts and exim

David Godfrey dave at lists.deltass.co.uk
Wed Mar 30 18:30:35 UTC 2005

SteveC wrote:

> * if an email is sent, eg if exim has it, exim should never ever give
> up sending it. I don't want timeout emails, just the real thing.

To avoid timeout emails:
delay_warning = 0

To retry for 100 days:
begin retry
*	*	F,100d,6h
(or some other large time - I don't know if there is an upper limit.)

> * set exim to auto_thaw = 1 minute? is that all I need?

No, this is unnecessary. Exim shouldn't be freezing the messages. The
network being unavailable is a normal error - the message should sit
patiently in the queue.

> * every minute, a bash script greps the access point MAC and checks if
> its changed since it last checked. If it has, then
> `/etc/init.d/network restart` and also run some script (which one?
> something from /etc/cron.d?) to get exim to mail things

To force exim to process the queue:
exim -qq

> * all this must survive random reboots or crashes (old laptop, no screen
> or keyboard!) , so cron is the way I'm guessing.

Shouldn't be a problem. Exim takes great care not to lose mail.

HTH

Regards

Dave Godfrey
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk