[Gllug] Blackberry

Russell Howe rhowe at wiss.co.uk
Tue Mar 1 15:36:57 UTC 2005

On Tue, Mar 01, 2005 at 10:00:48AM +0000, Richard Jones wrote:
> I guess it doesn't do IMAP, but requires some sort of proprietary mail
> server?

Deciphered from the O2 sales droid's waffle:

Blackberries require you to install a blackberry 'black box' (BES?) on
your LAN which will talk to your email/groupware system be it Exchange
or Lotus notes, possibly Novell Groupwise(?).

They also said it can do POP3. I assume that the black box does all the
actual POP3 and you still need it?

I said IMAP to him and he didn't know what it was. Browsing the
Blackberry site didn't turn anything up about native IMAP support.

My conclusion was to avoid them.

Our CEO has a Palm Treo(?) 600 which talkes IMAP pretty well, IIRC (or
it has IMAP-like POP3...), and someone else here is trialling an O2 XDA2
which runs PocketPC. That also does IMAP although I haven't yet found
out how to install our CA certificate into the thing so we can do IMAPS.

Nor do I know what the GPRS bill is... these people use them while
travelling.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk