[Gllug] Blackberry

Simon Morris mozrat at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 02:03:49 UTC 2005

On Tue,  1 Mar 2005 14:37:41 +0 00, t.clarke <tim at seacon.co.uk> wrote:

> Only disadvantage I can see offhand is that emails FROM the blackberry come
> from the blackberry address instead of the users normal address.

Well, that doesn't offer a very unified solution for messaging.

Also without a "supported" (read proprietary) mail system for the BES
you don't get some other nice features:

- Mailbox reconciliation. If I read a email on the bb it shows as read
in my Evolution/Exchange connector desktop app. Also Blackberry
deletions and filing emails is replicated to my server mailbox

- Calendar reconciliation. Same with appointments

- Directory lookups from the Blackberry

Having supported a number of other mobile email devices (namely the
horrible Nokia Communicator) the Blackberry is a pretty good but
expensive device.

When I was working abroad on Vodaphones roaming tarrif my blackberry
bill came to over 500 pounds for a few months in a row. Thinking about
it even when I'm sat in London wading through email it costs the
company to beam those mails to my hip as well as my desk... having a
crackberry is an expensive habit :)

> We simply divert emails for users to the blackberry addresses as and when
> required.

yeah, with that setup I'd be tempted to *only* enable it when people
are actually going to want remote mail. Could you use ~/.forward files
as part of your out of office/vacation solution to toggle your
blackberry mail on and off?

~sm
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk