[Gllug] Email servers.

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Thu May 12 11:12:47 UTC 2005

On Thu, May 12, 2005 at 10:52:47AM +0100, Ian wrote:
> > My next question is what is the best method for retrieving
> > email from my hosting companies POP3 server and populating
> > the Cyrus inbox. Is this something that postfix can do or
> > should I be using fetchmail? I have approximately 15 POP3
> > accounts to access.
>
> Fetchmail should be fine for the time being, it will feed postfix.

An alternative, if the service provider supports it, is ATRN or ETRN.
That allows your mta to tell the provider's mta that it is online and
ready to collect mail.  Then the delivery is done via smtp, as it would
have been if you had a fixed address.  The advantage of this is that you
avoid fetchmail.

--
Bruce

It is impolite to tell a man who is carrying you on his shoulders that
his head smells.