[Gllug] CD-Rom Writing,

Liam Smit liam.smit at gmail.com
Tue May 3 19:33:50 UTC 2005

Hi Peter

<snip>

> cdrecord --scanbus
> Cdrecord-Clone 2.01.01a01 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004
> Jörg Schil ling
> NOTE: this version of cdrecord is an inofficial (modified) release of
> cdrecord
>      and thus may have bugs that are not present in the original version.
>      Please send bug reports and support requests to
> <cdrtools at packages.debian. org>.
>      The original author should not be bothered with problems of this
> version.

Hmn that would make me think to upgrade the version of cdrecord.

> cdrecord: Warning: Running on Linux-2.6.8-2-k7
> cdrecord: There are unsettled issues with Linux-2.5 and newer.
> cdrecord: If you have unexpected problems, please try Linux-2.4 or Solaris.

With Linux you often get warnings. They are not ashamed to warn you of
problems even if they are "non-fatal".

> cdrecord: Warning: Linux-2.6.8 introduced incompatible interface changes.
> cdrecord: Warning: SCSI transport does no longer work for suid root
> programs.

This would seem to pinpoint the problem, I assume you are trying to burn
CDs as a non-root user.

> cdrecord: Warning: if cdrecord fails, try to run it from a root account.

Have you tried following the above suggestion? Problems on Linux / BSD/
*nix are often related to permissions. This is actually a good thing as
it shows security is a concern but when someting breaks so that you end
up with perm problems then it is less fun.

<snip>

I think Mandrake is probably a better desktop distro, especially for
anyone new to Linux. You can always change to debian or another distro
later. Debain is good for servers and Linux users have a tendancy to end
up using it eventually (or gentoo or sourceror, lunar, etc - I'm sure
you get the picture).

Regards,

Liam

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk