Sarge (was Re: [Gllug] Strange download effect)

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Fri May 20 11:28:16 UTC 2005

On Fri 20 May, Sharon Kimble wrote:

> Is Sarge going to be shipping with the new graphical installer please? If so,
> is it actually easier to install than the present one? The reason I ask is
> that I'm considering moving over to debian as I'm getting rather fed up of
> having to install a new OS every 6-7 months, and for it to be declared
> obsolete and end-of-line every 18 months.
>
> Sharon.
> --

   There is a new installer, which can be found as the new_version/testing,
but it is not a GUI. There has been a start on a GUI version, but that will
not be included with the Sarge release. The version to be included with
Sarge is very different from the one supplied with Woody, and gives a range
of options from almost hands-off to "expert", with a choice of either 2.4 or
2.6 kernel. There are still problems with some very recent hardware, and
details should be in the manual, so please RTFM. Reports so far indicate
that most users are delighted, but please send an installation report (good
or bad) to the development team using the supplied format.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk