[Gllug] Issues with Hotplug && Auto-mounting

Martin A. Brooks martin at hinterlands.org
Sun Nov 27 22:00:47 UTC 2005

Henry Gilbert wrote:
> Price to pay to revive a machine that was almost going to the bin.
> Really wished I could have achieved more. I think CD won't even mount.
> Even DVD won't play - ah well .. one (huge slow) step at a time I
> guess.

No offence intended to the Slackware-fans here[0], but I think you
picked nearly the worst possible distribution to start your Linux career
with.

This box of yours sounds like an ideal candidate for many of the "live
CD" distros out there today. Whack the CD in and see if it all works. If
it does then these these distros often have an option to write the
running systems, configs and all, to a hard disk.

If it doesn't work, remove the CD and reboot, you will have lost nothing.

Failing that, go back to the what I suggested about 10 days ago: Buy an
ADSL router, preferably with a built in ADSL modem.

Here are three (without a built in modem) that cost under 30 quid, and I
didn't even look hard:

http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.asp?sku=302399&cks=PRL
http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.asp?sku=311647&cks=PRL
http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.asp?sku=121673&cks=PRL

Add up the hours you've spent trying to get this to work, now multiply
by whatever you think your time is worth. I bet it's more than £30.

Mart.

[0] It goes like this:  I used to be a big slackware fan, I started
using it about version 3.0.  If you're willing to learn then slackware
will teach you a lot about the nuts and bolts of linux.  Then I got
lazy, and found proper package management and started to appreciate the
SysV init system and suddenly slackware was too much work.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk