[Gllug] Why are ISPs so stupid?

Lee, Paul paul at ma1.se
Wed Nov 16 13:42:17 UTC 2005

Rev Simon Rumble wrote:

> So why don't ISPs keep the line connected but redirect every port 80
> connection to a page saying "you've been disconnected because you
> didn't pay your bill"?  Would it really be that hard?  Surely it would
> save them some support calls...

err mine does on the spot if you are one millisecond late paying by
debit card. They are F2S or rather Freedom 2 Surf (now part of Pipex.)

ADSL works sufficiently for you to login and pay. The service is
restored pretty quickly once payment is processed.

I wonder if anyone is experiencing a dramatic slowdown on ADsL at
certain times (poplar exchange)? Sometimes it appears little better than
dialup.

I've heard various rumours ranging from its got worse since 2/8 Mbits
ADSL came on line, to a worm effecting home DNS servers .. hmm

Did attempt to try the speed tester on adslguide but it timed out! ;o)

Paul
// www.ma1.se /

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk