[Gllug] Wireless connection drop dead

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Mon Nov 14 17:28:56 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-11-14 at 17:09 +0000, Diana Scott wrote:
> Hi Henry
>
> I have been using a safecom wireless adsl modem 4 port 11g+ with suse 9.3
> for my internet use but the wireless connection was cut off for no apparent
> reasons. I have checked the lights in the modem and they are on. I still
> have my telephone connection.

I can't help you directly with the Safecom.
However a good general procedure would be to connect a Cat 5 cable from
the ethernet port on your laptop to one of the ports on the router.
Then you can access the router configuration utility directly, and
configure your wireless settings.

>From this page http://adsltech.com/adsl/auto.htm
the advice is to open a Web browser and type the IP address 10.0.0.2
in the address bar.

(I have to assume you have an Ethernet port on the laptop, most do).

Before you start to plug in, open an window and su to root
(or type CTRL-ALT-F1 and log in as root). Issue the command
'tail -f /var/log/messages'   You should see that when the ehternet
interface connects it gets a DHCP lease and also which IP is assigned to
it. Again I assume the adsl router is set to serve DHCP and also the
laptop is using DHCP. But that's a safe enough bet.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk