[Gllug] Web Site Creation

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Fri Nov 4 12:31:42 UTC 2005

On Thu, 3 Nov 2005, Aaron Trevena murmured woefully:
> On 11/3/05, Nix <nix at esperi.org.uk> wrote:

>> > Really? Whatever you say.
>>
>> Well, Perl is disgusting but foul though the language is as a language,
>> CPAN makes it utterly irreplaceable for a whole pile of things.
>>
>> Just take extreme care when writing anything big, 'cos Perl won't
>> stop you being undisciplined and your code may sag apart faster than
>> yuo can put it together.
>
> Oh dear - GLLUG is getting as bad as slashdot in this regard.

Well, it's simply my experience that it takes more effort to write
maintainable perl than to write non-maintainable perl, and that a lot
of people aren't willing to put in that effort :/

> Where I work now, we are dealing with large, fairly complex projects
> with multiple developers using perl without hitting this at all, even
> without using CS graduates, very experienced developers or even making
> use of the good practice available and this isn't the case.

You are working with some very very good people then: probably people
who care about long-term maintainability and take pride in their work.
Alas, I have never worked anywhere that has more than a smattering
of such people.

> There is not point talking to some of the irrational zealots on this
> list, but mud does occasionally stick and it's better to correct these
> nonsense myths and the idle speculation of people who couldn't code a
> CPAN module.

It's not a `nonsense myth', it's *derived directly from my personal
experience*. Anecdotal, sure, but not mythical.

(Sheesh.)

--
`Heinlein is quite competent at putting together sentences, but usually
he also puts together a plot to go with them.' --- Russ Allbery
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk