[Gllug] Web Site Creation

Lee, Paul paul at ma1.se
Thu Nov 3 12:29:39 UTC 2005

Peter Childs wrote:
> I'm trying to to write a web site. My knowledge of doing so is rather
> old and really rather out of date.
> I'm thinking of using css, xhtml, javascript, and php which seams like
> a very large number of different languages to have to mix into one
> item, But such is the web....
> I'd like to create a "header" and a "footer" and then strap them on to
> each web page automatically so I don't need to worry about having to

Headers and footer's and indeed menu includes in php are very
straighforward. For instance in your index.php put:

<----header content------->
<?php include ("header.html")
<----end header content--->

A problem I have with CSS is resolving browser compatability problems.
Something will line up and look nice in Firefox but will look a mess in
IE (or different versions of IE).

But these days I'd look at a lot of the "blogging" tools to build a
website. WordPress, sBlog or CMS like Drupal, Mambo etc..

There is also CMS made simple.

http://www.cmsmadesimple.org/

Paul
// www.ma1.se //  // www.tbwnet.co.uk