[Gllug] Exim4 with Debian Sarge

Russell Howe rhowe at siksai.co.uk
Fri Oct 28 00:02:43 UTC 2005

On Thu, Oct 27, 2005 at 05:07:15PM +0100, Chris Bell wrote:
>    I am happy to try modifying the multiple exim4 configuration files if I
> can be reasonably sure that what I am trying to do is sensible and
> achievable.

I'm fairly sure you can achieve what you want using the debconf frontend
to the exim4-config package, and assuming your local usernames are
identical to the part of the address before the @, then you shouldn't
need to mess with /etc/email-addresses

It seems like you want to do the following:

* Tell exim to treat eximbox.localdomain and accountname.demon.co.uk as
  local domains for which it should accept mail for local delivery.
* Tell exim to allow relaying of all nonlocal mail originating from your
  internal network.
* Optionally tell exim to use Demon's SMTP server as smarthost, although
  if you're not worried about your exim server's promiscuity, and you
  aren't writing hugely restrictive packing filter rules, I'd just leave
  it to look up MX records and relay your outgoing messages on to the
  appropriate server. If your connection isn't always on, it might be a
  better idea to use Demon's smarthost, however.
* Tell exim to provide a different hostname in it's HELO/EHLO response,
  depending on where the request comes from (i.e.
  accountname.demon.co.uk if the HELO/EHLO is from outside your LAN, and
  eximbox.localdomain if it's from within).

I'd just sacrifice the 2nd option to begin with, and make exim respond
with 'accountname.demon.co.uk' to all HELO/EHLO requests. That should
keep Demon happy, and I doubt any machines on your LAN would complain
about the response. You can (if you really wish) fix it later, I'm sure.
I don't recall seeing a MUA which submitted messages via SMTP and cared
one iota what the HELO/EHLO response was, although I'm sure someone will
step up and name a handful!

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk