[Gllug] Exim4 with Debian Sarge

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Fri Oct 28 06:48:20 UTC 2005

On Fri, 28 Oct 2005, Russell Howe stipulated:
> I'd just sacrifice the 2nd option to begin with, and make exim respond
> with 'accountname.demon.co.uk' to all HELO/EHLO requests. That should
> keep Demon happy, and I doubt any machines on your LAN would complain
> about the response.

Indeed not. `overview.demon.co.uk' *is* that machine's external name, so
it should probably have a CNAME or two A records (I use two A records,
one with my external name and external IP address and one with the
internal name and internal IP.)

>                     You can (if you really wish) fix it later, I'm sure.
> I don't recall seeing a MUA which submitted messages via SMTP and cared
> one iota what the HELO/EHLO response was, although I'm sure someone will
> step up and name a handful!

MUAs certainly don't care. SpamAssassin does, though.

--
`"Gun-wielding recluse gunned down by local police" isn't the epitaph
 I want. I am hoping for "Witnesses reported the sound up to two hundred
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk