[Gllug] internet connection

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Mon Oct 17 12:05:35 UTC 2005

On Mon 17 Oct, John Hearns wrote:

> On Mon, 2005-10-17 at 12:01 +0100, anthony.hill21 at btinternet.com wrote:
> > Installed Xandros Desktop OS Version 3 a few days ago.    Internet
> > connection resisting all my efforts.   My level of expertise is very low
> > but I suspect that I need to instal a driver for my modem, which is a BT
> > Voyager 100 and  I have found a driver ('Linux EC1ADSL') that I hope
> > will be suitable.   How do I instal it -- can anyone advise?   So far, a
> > copy of the file is sitting on my Administrator desktop but that is as
> > far as I can get!   ASH.
>
> Keeping up my current spate of "there's more than one way to do it"
> replies, give up. Buy a dedicated router instead.
> I saw an ADSL router with wireless in Aldis of all places, in the region
> of £50.

   My system here uses an old PC running IPCop as a firewall. It does not
have drivers for common USB modems, but does have facilities for installing
them via a temporary link. IPCop is easy to set up, with lots of facilities.

www.ipcop.org

   Is there a list of ISPs for whom the use of their "free" modem, or the
MAC address of the first network card configured, is mandatory?

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk