[Gllug] ubuntu wireless

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Wed Oct 19 06:26:46 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-10-18 at 23:58 +0100, Jeff Young wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am a newbie and I am learning to use ubuntu 5.04.
>
> I have a few problems and they are:
>
> A) I couldn't find the shell where I could type in
> command line from the desktop.
There are also alternative command-line consoles available on Linux
systems.
Press <CTRL><ALT> then F1 which will bring up a text-mode console
screen. Enter username/password as usual.
Same for F2 etc. The graphical X screen is associated with F7.

As a learning point, Linux systems do not necessarily have a graphical
login screen. This only happens when the runlevel is 5.
At runlevel 3 you get all the same services started, but no graphical
login. This would be useful if (say) you are running a server and have
no need for the graphical login on the console. Or say you have a small
embedded device, which has scarce resources.
You can configure the default runlevel, so that the next time you boot
up the system enters this runlevel.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk