[Gllug] Graphics card advice

Tethys sta296 at astradyne.co.uk
Fri Oct 21 09:19:10 UTC 2005

Richard Cohen writes:

>I can always be safe and just hunt down an AGP 9250 or something, but
>that's boring.

AFAIK, the 9200 is the fastest currently supported card with free drivers,
but it's virtually impossible to get hold of these days -- people only seem
to be selling the slower 9200SE model.

The r300 project has partial support for the newer ATI cards, right up to
the X800, which is apparently working well. Their last update shows that
their drivers were accepted in freedesktop.org CVS a couple of months ago.
The question is then whether the X.org release used those drivers for its
upcoming release or not, and I'm afraid I don't know.

For non-ATI cards, Matrox has an open source driver for its Parhelia cards,
but I don't know what they're like performance wise. I believe that some of
the less recent 3Dlabs cards are also supported (but they're also not cheap).

	http://r300.sourceforge.net/

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk