[Gllug] blacklisted mail servers

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Fri Oct 21 12:15:06 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-10-21 at 10:01 +0100, t.clarke wrote:
> When it comes to blocking stuff,  a very large French company we deal with
> introduced some new spam-checking stuff and all our emails to starting
> disappearing down a block-hole.    Noone could explain why and it took weeks
> to resolve.

We have a similar problem at school, where all incoming e-mail is routed
through a proprietary spam-filter ("It's expensive so it must be good")
which gives practically no information about *why* it has picked on a
given e-mail.  It just says "Bayesian" (although there is no opportunity
to train it), "Keyword" (but it doesn't tell you what the keyword was)
or "Header" (not clear what that means).  False positives are common but
there doesn't seem to be anything we can do about it, and IT support
won't consider junking it and using something useful like SA.

Don't you just hate not being in control?

John

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk