[Gllug] Re: suse 9.3 upgrade to suse 10

Craig Millar gllug at craigmillar.org
Tue Oct 25 06:21:32 UTC 2005

On 24/10/05 23:58 +0100, Jeff Young wrote:
> I am using suse 9.3 at the moment. If I downloaded
> suse 10, can I install over suse 9.3 without losing
> any data?

Just done it last week. Better safe than sorry of course - make a backup of your
/home and /etc directories and any others that may be applicable. If you've
been using any unofficial package repositories (packman etc) I'd expect
you'll have a few dependency issues to solve but they're pretty easily taken
care of - I had to accept removal of a few packages which I installed again
later.

FWIW I did have a few problems, on both my work and home box, a failure of
the install to create an initial ramdisk. I had to use the rescue disk and
mount the hard disk and chroot and run mkinitrd manually - in both cases it
worked fine. However, no-one else on the suse mailing lists appear to have
had this problem.

> Please advise.

good luck.
Craig