[Gllug] Solaris - monitor problem

Justin Perreault justinperreault at dl-jp.com
Wed Sep 21 23:31:18 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-09-21 at 23:24 +0100, Alain Williams wrote:
> Not having used any other Unix than Linux for several years, I am playing with
> Solaris10 on x86.

> I eventually got the monitor working at 1024x768 - except when logging in when
> it insists on being 1280x1024, after login it goes to 1024x768.

Okay, lets see if I can help, having checked around it seems that
Solaris10 also installs XSun. From the various posts I have read I get
the feeling that XSun handles the login screen and passes off to Xorg or
whatever based on user login prefs. The most common suggestion I have
found is at the login screen choose a console login and run kdmconfig
and answer Y to using XSun (support for this is not universal) and that
should allow for it to be changed. The one that pointed out that this
may not be supported suggested /usr/X11R6/bin/xorgconfig and provided a
list of how they answered the questions;

http://groups.google.com/group/vmware.guest.misc/browse_frm/thread/158fbb09c692dae6/8b4b3203a8a0f4dc?tvc=1&q=Solaris+10+Beta:+Moving+from+Xsun+to+Xorg&hl=en#8b4b3203a8a0f4dc

(ugly link hope it works)

> At install time I also told it that I had a UK keyboard, it insists on using a
> US keymap. I have followed the java desktop menu to set the keyboard layout, but
> to no effect ...

The above also covers a keyboard but I was less successful searching

> Can anyone tell me how to fix it so that it only ever uses 1024x768 & UK keyboard.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Hope this helps, my analysis could be off.

--
Justin Perreault

Better questions lead to better answers-

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk