[Gllug] FC4 X and Matrox P650

Ken Smith kens at kensnet.org
Wed Sep 21 15:00:33 UTC 2005

Hi – before tear the lid of this system as dig for the problem can anyone
give me some pointers that might get me going in the right direction please.

The system dual boots FC3/4 among other things. FC3 + X with a Matrox P650
Video Card works fine with the Vesa driver. I haven't bothered with the
Matrox proprietary driver yet.

On FC4 X fails to show anything on the screen. Even during install I had to
resort to the text installer to get it going. X wouldn't show.

The X Window System is 6.8.1 on FC3 and 6.8.2 on the FC4. The xorg.conf
generated on FC4 by anaconda was fairly normal but I have replaced it with
the one from the working FC3 system. Still no joy ;-[

With X running on FC4 (supposedly) the monitor shows some very low scan
rates. 24 Khz and 65Hz. The log file Xorg.0.log file on the FC4 system does
not seem to show the Optiquest monitor being detected like the FC3 system's
logfile does.

Any ideas before I start digging further...

Ken

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk