[Gllug] deborphan - to delete not used libaries

Russell Howe rhowe at wiss.co.uk
Thu Apr 6 11:15:25 UTC 2006

Franz Timmer <ftimmer at web.de> wrote on Wed, 05 Apr 2006 18:06:36 +0200:

>Hello,
>
>for all debian users, (especially for the unstable / sid version)
>
>I have find "deborphan" a small program, who delete all not used
>libaries from the system.

Give debfoster a try too - it's a bit of a slog on a system
with lots of packages, and it will suggest removal of packages
even if they are recommended by packages you wish to keep, but
it works quite well if you are building stripped down, clean
systems.

deborphan's a quick and simple way to free up unused space.
debfoster is a bit more involved, but remembers your answers
for subsequent runs.

A nice command to know is:

dselect update select install && debfoster && dselect select install

(yes, I like dselect, but only after doing this:
echo expert >> /etc/dpkg/dselect.cfg
)

--
Russell Howe