[Gllug] Mythtv queries

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Sun Apr 9 09:52:38 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-04-09 at 15:34 +0600, Emon wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I am a newbie running Slackware10.2 with KDE
>
> I use "TvTime" to watch tv on my PC via my TV card (PinnaclePCTV
> Stereo). It uses the following chip, "Phillips Semiconductors SAA7134" &
> has limited video capture capability.
>
> So now I want to be able to record video from my tv. Somebody once told
> me to look at "transcode.org" but I found that to be text oriented... &
> didn't dig too deep.
>
> BTW I am only interested in analogue tv *NOT* DBV because analogue
> (cable) tv is all that we get here in Bangladesh.
>
> I was wondering if Mythtv will do the trick?? I wasn't sure after
> looking at it's homepage whether it would record analogue tv or not!!

Yes, MythTV will do analogue TV.  Indeed, it is more oriented towards
analogue than digital.  AIUI, they don't use DVB much in the USA either,
and since MythTV originates there DVB has had to be added in later.

Provided your card has Linux drivers (and from what you say above it
would seem it has to) it should work with MythTV.

HTH
John

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk