[Gllug] cdrom writing

Peter Childs peterachilds at gmail.com
Sun Apr 2 17:53:07 UTC 2006

On 02/04/06, Bruce Richardson <itsbruce at uklinux.net> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 02, 2006 at 04:55:12PM +0100, Peter wrote:

> > ide-cd is loaded cdrecord says cdrom cdrom points to hdc which works
> > fine as my cdrom drive.
> >
> > The point is that cdrecord don't like ide but the kernal people say to
> > use ide now and this is better that scsi and its bascally as bigger
> > mess as windows
>
> Bollocks, you just haven't read the documentation properly.  Have a look
> in /usr/share/doc/cdrecord/README.ATAPI.setup, in the section about 2.6
> kernels.  You should be able to find out what name cdrecord needs to be
> given to access your cdrom by running "cdrecord dev=ATA: -scanbus".
> Then you can configure cdrecord properly by setting the CDR_DEVICE line
> in /etc/cdrecord/cdrecord to "CDR_DEVICE=ATA:n,n,n" where n,n,n is the
> device indicator returned by the previous command.

Mean while where were not having a flame war....

cdrecord dev=ATA: -scanbus

returns

Cdrecord-Clone 2.01.01a03 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2005
Joerg Schilling
NOTE: this version of cdrecord is an inofficial (modified) release of cdrecord
      and thus may have bugs that are not present in the original version.
      Please send bug reports and support requests to
<cdrtools at packages.debian.org>.
      The original author should not be bothered with problems of this version.

cdrecord: Warning: Running on Linux-2.6.15-1-k7
cdrecord: There are unsettled issues with Linux-2.5 and newer.
cdrecord: If you have unexpected problems, please try Linux-2.4 or Solaris.
scsidev: 'ATA:'
devname: 'ATA'
scsibus: -1 target: -1 lun: -1
Warning: Using badly designed ATAPI via /dev/hd* interface.
Error trying to open /dev/hda exclusively (Device or resource busy)...
retrying in 1 second.
[...]
cdrecord: Device or resource busy. Cannot open '/dev/hda'. Cannot open
SCSI driver.
cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'.
cdrecord: For possible transport specifiers try 'cdrecord dev=help'.
cdrecord:
cdrecord: For more information, install the cdrtools-doc
cdrecord: package and read /usr/share/doc/cdrecord/README.ATAPI.setup .

Which means nothing to me and I don't think it helps.

by the way....

hda: 240121728 sectors (122942 MB) w/2048KiB Cache, CHS=65535/16/63, UDMA(133)
hda: cache flushes supported
 hda:<6>usbcore: registered new driver usb-storage
 hda1 hda2 hda3 hda4 < hda5 hda6 hda7 hda8 hda9 >
hdb: max request size: 128KiB
hdb: 160086528 sectors (81964 MB) w/2048KiB Cache, CHS=65535/16/63, UDMA(133)
hdb: cache flushes supported
 hdb: hdb1
hdc: ATAPI 32X DVD-ROM CD-R/RW drive, 2048kB Cache, DMA
Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.20
hdd: ATAPI 48X DVD-ROM drive, 512kB Cache, UDMA(33)

which does not help either i guess

Peter Childs

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk