[Gllug] I can't work out if this guy is a genius troll or just a complete fool

Christopher Hunter chrisehunter at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Apr 27 06:27:54 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 26 Apr 2006 19:53, Richard Jones wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 26, 2006 at 03:41:02PM +0100, will wrote:
> > http://shelleytherepublican.com/2006/04/linux-european-threat-to-our-comp
> >uters.html
>
> That's quite funny ...
>
> I didn't think Americans had a sense of irony before I read this
> comment on the story:

Actually, they don't.  Irony completely passes them by.  Bizarre beliefs like
those in the article are really common, and the majority know nothing of the
world outside their own borders - many have never even left their own home
state!  Less than 15% of Americans have passports.

I was over there recently, and it's becoming quite an unpleasant place for
Europeans to visit, particularly anywhere away from either coast.  We are now
viewed with deep suspicion, and a series of laws passed since 2001 have
effectively curtailed /all/ Civil Liberties.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if the DMCA was modified to make illegal the
use of any "non-compliant" operating system within the USA.  They already
tried to prevent the use of any kind of encryption for e-mail - with the
threat of 5 to 10 years in jail - and open source, free software will be seen
as a truly terrible threat to American commerce!

Chris

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk