[Gllug] OK sendmail haters...

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Wed Aug 30 20:37:18 UTC 2006

- Tethys wrote:
> On 8/30/06, Adrian McMenamin <adrian at newgolddream.dyndns.info> wrote:
>
>> Tell me I should be using Exim, but if I have masquerade_as in my
>> sendmail.mc and the DM macro in sendmail.cf is set to the same real
>> world network, why oh why do all emails being sent out by mailman claim
>> they come from www-data at localhost.localdomain??
>
> At a guess, you probably need to add:
>
> FEATURE(masquerade_envelope)
>
> Either that, or mailman might be bypassing sendmail altogether, and
> sending mail directly (I know nothing about mailman, so I have no idea
> whether that's likely or not).

No, mailman sends via sendmail. I use the following in sendmail.mc

dnl #
dnl # Make all outgoing mail appear to originate from the
dnl # domain of the mail server. Do not masquerade from
dnl # other valid domains that are in $w as we may wish these
dnl # to be exposed if set in the mail headers.
dnl #
MASQUERADE_AS(`my.domain.com')dnl
MASQUERADE_DOMAIN(`mail.my.domain.com')dnl
FEATURE(`masquerade_envelope')dnl
FEATURE(`limited_masquerade')dnl

If you only send/receive from a single domain, you won't need the
"limited_masquerade".

Mike

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk