[Gllug] RE: Wireless encryption

Russell Howe rhowe at siksai.co.uk
Sat Dec 30 00:52:24 UTC 2006

On Fri, Dec 29, 2006 at 02:03:21PM -0000, Alex A. Smith MCP wrote:
> If you are really worried about security you'd use WPA - as far as I'm aware the only way to get around that is brute force attacking, which as with anything like that is very hit and miss and time consuming.

I'd say turn WEP and WPA off and use IPsec instead, blocking all
non-IKE/IPsec traffic on the AP :) Not sure how much of a pain it is to
set up in practise, but it can't be that bad... surely?

As well as MAC filtering and something like arpwatch to monitor for new
devices popping up so that you're at least likely to be aware of things
going on.

This may require a co-operative AP though..