[Gllug] Emacs macro to do a replace-regexp

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Sun Feb 19 10:27:17 UTC 2006

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006, Chris Bell suggested tentatively:
> On Sat 18 Feb, Nix wrote:
>> In my case it was mostly down to my belief that antistatic wrist straps
>> did a fucking thing. One dead machine later I vow to never touch computer
>> hardware without rubber gloves on.
>>
>    Rubber gloves can themselves become electrically charged.

AUGH

(But rubber's an insulator!)

>    The best method is to avoid wearing clothing and shoes that generate and
> retain static electricity, avoid carpets and furnishings that generate
> static, (anti-static spray can help with new carpets, but you may need large
> quantities), move around slowly, and always earth yourself to the metal
> chassis before touching anything else. You can have small but measureable
> voltages across different areas of skin, but this rarely causes a problem.

The machine that was wrecked with static was wrecked while I was barefooted
on a wooden floor, despite earthing.

I think static electricity simply hates me.

>    The front screens of CRT monitors can retain very high voltages for
> months after being switched off, so stay well clear.

Oh yes.

>    A well-used and slightly grubby bench top (slightly conducting), or a
> commercial anti-static surface, is probably better than either metal (very
> low resistance) or new plastic (insulating).

Pretty much all of mine are wood: I think that's insulatory, right?

--
`... follow the bouncing internment camps.' --- Peter da Silva
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk