[Gllug] DD Ext3 Move (was ping)

Ken Smith kens at kensnet.org
Wed Feb 8 19:18:26 UTC 2006

Tethys wrote:

>John Hearns writes:
>

>>Use rsync to move data between disks like that - ie. mount /dev/hda5
>>first and rsync -avx to the /path-to-some-share
>>

>Nope, definitely the wrong tool. Unless things have changed recently,
>rsync is horribly slow for an initial copy. It's fine for keeping two
>existing trees in sync, but to create the duplicate tree initially, use
>something like tar or cpio instead.
>
>Tet

(BTW - LVM is a gret idea - shame M$ systems don't also support it. Dual
boot would be a doddle then.)

This is where I've reached....

Data saved and restored to the new (moved) partition. XP partition is
now resized and for the moment I've put the M$ boot  loader back in the
MBR. XP now runs.

I'm struggling to get GRUB re-installed. The FC3 partition is now beyond
the 1K boundary. The FC3 rescue disk does not find the reinstated system
- why? Knoppix sees it - so, using knoppix to re-instate grub as follows...

mkdir /mnt/temp
mount /dev/hda5 /mnt/temp
chroot /mnt/temp
grub-install /dev/hda5
/dev/hda5: Not found or not a block device.

Its an IBM R31 Laptop. Am I wasting my time - is FC3 unbootable beyond
1K on this system? Or have I blundered somewhere? As you can see from
the shell stuff, above, I was planning to put grub into hda5 and use M$
boot loader (setting in boot.ini) to haul the thing up.

Any ideas?

Ken

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk