[Gllug] Is this a silly idea - VOIP telephony with Asterisk?

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Sat Feb 11 15:39:46 UTC 2006

I have a slight problem with VOIP telephony and a proposed approach for
a solution.  I would appreciate anyone telling me if I've got hold of
completely the wrong end of the stick (in either the problem or the
solution).

The problem is that I would like to use two separate VoIP phone adapters
on my home LAN, in separate physical locations.  It seems that both of
them need my ADSL router to forward UDP packets aimed at certain fixed
ports to them in order to work.  Obviously the ADSL router can't do
this.

My proposed solution is to put Asterisk on my home server and have it do
all the connecting to the outside world (real VoIP providers), then have
the phone adapters connect to the Asterisk server.  The Asterisk server
would do all the routing etc and forward on the calls.  In effect the
VoIP phone adapters would simply be hardware interfaces (allowing actual
phones to be connected) for the Asterisk box.

>From a preliminary read of the Asterisk documentation this seems to be
feasible.  Am I completely off base - either in identifying the problem,
or in proposing the solution?

TIA,
John

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk