[Gllug] Cant enable DMA

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Mon Feb 27 09:14:17 UTC 2006

On Mon, Feb 27, 2006 at 08:33:23AM +0000, Simon wrote:
> >"If you can't take it with you, it's not a backup".
>
> Nice phrase.  What if 'It's already there'?  eg the MD has an rsync box
> in his study at home...

What you describe is really a mirror, not a proper backup.  It can be
part of a backup scheme but it is simply not, in itself, a backup.
You have no historical archive, you have a one-off copy.  Your customers
are protected only for the interval between rsync runs.

If that's all your customers are paying for and your documentation and
contracts are quite explicit about it, fair enough.  Hope you're using
something more robust internally.

Tape is expensive and slow but most of the hard disk solutions I see
people are talking about are very unsafe.  For some reason, most of them
are not backing up to a fresh removable disk (or set thereof) each run
and then sending the disks to offsite storage.  Once they get onto the
"disk is cheaper and more convenient" track, they just seem to get hung
up on the cheap and the easy.

--
Bruce

I unfortunately do not know how to turn cheese into gold.