[Gllug] paypal : good/bad ?

Justin Perreault justinperreault at dl-jp.com
Wed Jan 4 11:09:18 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-01-02 at 17:42 +0000, Alain Williams wrote:
> My kids want to buy some memory for their phones/e-toys (Sony Memory Stick Duo 2 GB Card).

Froogle, a subset of google, is pretty good for finding bargins in my
opinion.

> They have found somewhere on ebay selling what they need at a good price, the people want paypay payment.
> They (tech_google: L&T Technology products) are based in the USA with an ebay rating of 98.7% (on 6462 feedbacks).

I usually use PayPal when purchasing from ebay.

> I must admit to being naive at ebay & generally distrustful of retailers/... that I can't touch,
> I am concerned about paypay (google 'paypal problems'), but how real are they .... anyone have any real problems ?
> It took ages to read the ebay agreements, the paypal ones are just as long :-(

One can always trust that a retailers (banks are just retailers of
financial products) purpose is to separate you from your money. The good
ones make sure you feel you have received value so you keep going back.

ALWAYS read everything you are agreeing to and please teach your
children to do such.

I Googled for 'paypal problems' and found many of the sites quoting
years old articles. What was of more concern was that different sites
were 'helpfully' offering referral to the same site to obtain a Merchant
account. It felt like many of the sites listed were scams/leaches trying
to make a quick buck over a bit of bad press that PayPal recieved.

I am sure PayPal will have their problems and I would expect service
levels similar to Microsoft. The problems highlighted seemed centered
around selling on ebay not buying. I have had no problems with purchases
through ebay via PayPal.

Good luck.

Justin Perreault
--
If you are an adult, you can choose to act like a child. If you do not
accept being an adult, you are only a child. -JJJ

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk