[Gllug] D-Link/Linux

John Edwards john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Fri Jan 6 16:02:48 UTC 2006

On Fri, Jan 06, 2006 at 03:43:54PM +0000, Alain Williams wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 06, 2006 at 03:38:33PM +0000, John Edwards wrote:
>> On Fri, Jan 06, 2006 at 03:08:47PM +0000, Mick Farmer wrote:
>>> Dear GLLUGers,
>>>
>>> Someone recently posted details of how to access the Linux
>>> OS implementing a D-Link ADSL modem/router.  Can anyone send
>>> me a copy of that posting?
>>
>> I never saw that post, but the usual way to login to the 604
>> family is to telnet to the router and login as root with the
>> password being the same as the admin user on the web interface.
>
> Just tried that ... it just drops the connection after I enter the password.
> It is something that I would like to do as well, I may regret it if I screw something
> but Sir Edmund Hillary's quote about 'why Everest' comes to mind :-)
>
> (BTW: I have a D-Link DSL-604+)

This is on a D-Link DSL-G604T with the latest firmware
(V1.00B02T02.UK.20050815).

It has a public IP address with routed subnet.
The basic firewall is enabled.
The DMZ IP address is the IP of the host on the routed subnet
through which I am connecting (eg another firewall/router).
Remote web/telnet is enabled for that IP address through the
web interface in "Advanced"->"Advanced Security".

I think that in the default setup that telnet was enabled for
the local NAT'ed subnet.

Output of telnet:
$ telnet <IP_ADDRESS>
Trying <IP_ADDRESS>...
Connected to <HOSTNAME> (<IP_ADDRESS>).
Escape character is '^]'.

login: root
Password:

BusyBox v0.61.pre (2005.08.15-09:45+0000) Built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

# df
/dev/mtdblock/0           1984      1984         0 100% /
# cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor               : 0
cpu model               : MIPS 4KEc V4.8
BogoMIPS                : 149.91
wait instruction        : no
microsecond timers      : yes
extra interrupt vector  : yes
hardware watchpoint     : yes
VCED exceptions         : not available
VCEI exceptions         : not available
#

| A. Because it breaks the logical sequence of discussion |
| Q. Why is top posting bad ?                             |
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk