[Gllug] [OT] mail marketing suite

Simon Wilcox essuu at ourshack.com
Mon Jul 3 11:58:14 UTC 2006

On Mon, 3 Jul 2006, Craig Millar wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a (preferably open source) tool for sending out
> marketing[1] mails? We have a subscriber base of several thousand and need to
> send out a monthly html email to them. So it needs to handle some basic
> subscriber information, and have the ability for them to unsubscribe by
> clicking a link or replying with unsub in the message etc etc.

http://tincan.co.uk/phplist should do what you want as long as php doesn't
bring you out in hives.

> Perhaps most importantly it needs to be user friendly - cos the IT department
> wants as little to do with it as possible. Which effectively means WYSIWYG
> editing, else we get dragged into the construction of their pretty little
> html newsletters, which bores us greatly!

Getting html to work across mail and webmail clients is an art in itself.
Expect plenty of problems if you let the marketroids create their own
html.

If you don't mind paying a little, www.campaignmonitor.com is superb and
very user friendly. There's quite a lot of useful advice on how to get
better results from direct email marketing on their site.

Simon.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk