Wireless in 2.6.15 (Was Re: [Gllug] Free Ubuntu 6.06 LTS CDs)

Christian Smith csmith at thewrongchristian.org.uk
Thu Jun 1 16:05:57 UTC 2006

On Wed, 31 May 2006, Dan Stevens (IAmAI) wrote:

> I was thinking of ordering a Ubuntu 6.06 LTS CD for free from
> http://shipit.ubuntu.com. I can order up to 10 so I was also think
> perhaps I could order 10 and bring the rest along to the next Gllug
> meeting for other people.
>
> I have the following options:
>
> 1. 10 Ubuntu CDs (8 PC Edition, 1 64-bit PC Edition, 1 Mac Edition)
> 2. 10 Ubuntu CDs (5 PC Edition, 3 64-bit PC Edition, 2 Mac Edition)
>
> If I went for #1 I would have first dibs on the 64-bit edition, so
> others wanted 64-bit edition then I would order #2. If someone else
> has already ordered a bunch for the next GLLUG meeting I'll grab one
> then, or I'll just order one for myself.

On the subject of the Dapper release, I've been having problems with the
wireless networking. I get messages like:
ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth1: link is not ready

The wireless device associates with an AP, so I can see the MAC address of
the access point, and I can tcpdump the interface and get packets, but
nothing is ever transmitted. Same card worked fine under breezy and
Windows. The card is based on the Atmel chipset.

I've noticed the same message in other distros using 2.6.15. Does anyone
else have problems with 2.6.15? I noticed that a lot of 802.11 work was
done for 2.6.15 (*), but was wondering how widespread the issues are.

Frustrated,
Christian

* (2.6.15 release announcement) http://lwn.net/Articles/166130/

PS. Don't upgrade unless you know your wireless will work. Try the Live
     CD first.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk