[Gllug] X problem

Ben Fitzgerald ben_m_f at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Nov 5 18:44:36 UTC 2006

On Sun, Nov 05, 2006 at 06:32:59PM +0000, Khusro Jaleel wrote:

>    Maybe you have X11Forwarding disabled in your /etc/ssh/sshd_config,
>    just as John said? I recently started seeing this message too, and I
>    think that was the problem.

John was referring to the configuration of sshd running on the target.

>From man sshd:

     no-X11-forwarding
          Forbids X11 forwarding when this key is used for authentication.
          Any X11 forward requests by the client will return an error.

If this is disallowed on the target I don't think he can do anything about it
if the firewall also disallows X connections back out. Unless he tries going
out over a non-standard port or some other such hack?

>    I'm not sure about it, but I usually also set my X server to accept
>    remote connections, maybe this is also disabled for you? In your
>    '/etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc', check for 'nolisten tcp' and remove it if
>    it's there. There may be some other files as well in /etc/X11 that use
>    'nolisten tcp' and one of those may be the culprit, such as your gdm
>    or kdm startup files.

He may not be accepting connections or allowing inbound X clients but he is
not getting to that stage as indicated by the DISPLAY not set message. He
needs to sort out how he gets the X connection back from the remote server
before this becomes a consideration.

At least, this is my understanding of it! :-)

Cheers,

Ben.

--
Registered Linux user number 339435