[Gllug] VACANCY: System Administrator, Old Street, London, MinSalary £30k

Alex Crow acrow at integrafin.co.uk
Thu Nov 16 20:54:02 UTC 2006

> Kind of off putting to other new list members (like me) as well. People need
> to get off their high horse with the flaming, it’s the reason why I stopped
> going to a few linux forums, doing it in mailing list is no better and just
> makes the person seem immature.
>
> Least, that’s my view anyways. *waits to get abused*
>
> Regards,
>
> Alex Smith

Alex,

Well, you do have to bear in mind that we're proud of self-acquired
knowledge. Sometimes I feel like bludgeoning some of our users to death,
but I restrain myself ;) We probably all have our own horses that we
have to resist climbing on every day.

I do find that a lot of Linux gurus can be elitist, but then it's always
tempting when you're not one of the "Windows herd" to sneer and say "I'm
different" (sorry, I sound like a Mac advert!).

However, I've given and introduction to Linux to a few mates and some
have taken. I have two that I've given old boxes with IPCop to go behind
their ADSL/cable connections and they really love it. I've got one more
that wants me to set up a LAMP server for him and start him off. That
makes me very happy. I also make it understood that my support costs one
or more of money, single malt whisky, or food, depending on their
skills.

Martin, you are correct and I can't dispute that - it was my error to
top-post. But I can't help but think that new members to the GLLUG (and
potential Linux advocates) might be put off by such instant castigation!

Cheers

Alex