[Gllug] C/C++ mentor

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Wed Nov 22 19:40:11 UTC 2006

salsaman wrote:
> Well, to set the record straight:
>
> gtk+ has no relation to gnome.

I would say "is independent of", rather than "has no relation to. GTK is
the default widget set for GNOME.

> The Gnome window manager uses gtk+ with some gnome-specific extensions.
> GTK+ apps run equally well under any window manager.

Some do. Some don't - several apps are very irritating in this regard.
The NetworkManager daemon communicates with the user via a frontend
applet. In theory there could be many options, but in practice there is
only one today. It's a GTK applet, and it requires you to be running a
panel with a system notification area. If you aren't, it still runs, but
you can't actually see anything, so it's useless.

Is this app "part of GNOME"? I would argue that it should be independent
of GNOME, and the requirement for a running panel is misdesign. There is
a visible creep in some areas though, where GNOME developers are
developing GTK apps that don't stand alone...

Mike
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk