[Gllug] C/C++ mentor

Tethys sta296 at astradyne.co.uk
Wed Nov 22 20:49:17 UTC 2006

Mike Brodbelt writes:

>Is this app "part of GNOME"? I would argue that it should be independent
>of GNOME, and the requirement for a running panel is misdesign. There is
>a visible creep in some areas though, where GNOME developers are
>developing GTK apps that don't stand alone...

100% in agreement here. Sadly, such design stupidity seems to be
becoming increasingly common, particularly in the GNOME world. Rather
than write a useful app and a pretty front end interface to it, they
write a single app, where the engine and interface can't be separated,
and where the interface has dependencies on a particular desktop
environment. Even worse, they then argue for the removal of any
previous tools that did support such separation as they're now deemed
"obsolete", even when the operation is valid for headless servers (see,
for example, the calls for netplugd to be dropped from Fedora in favour
of NetworkManager).

Tet