[Gllug] Fedora 6 out at 14:00

Pete Ryland pdr at pdr.cx
Tue Oct 24 10:48:05 UTC 2006

On 24/10/06, Peter Cannon <peter at cannon-linux.co.uk> wrote:

> On Tuesday 24 October 2006 10:02, Alain Williams wrote:
>
> > CentOS is what I prefer, augmented with Dag's archive[**] for
> > what CentOS doesn't have ... I try to avoid compilation from source
> these
> > days[^^], 'yum update' is so much easier.
>
> Use CentOS for our Web Server running FC5 on this Laptop.
>
> I use yum but theres nothing stopping you installing apt and using  that
> instead.

The difference isn't so much yum vs apt IMO, but instead it's deb vs rpm,
and I'm not even talking about the file formats.  Deb packages have a very
strict policy before being blessed by the distro, including that the
software must not deviate even the slightest bit from the FHS (even if that
means having to rework the whole package), and upon installation the
software must be fully configured and up and running.  Whether that's a good
thing or a bad thing is a matter of taste, but for trialling software or
setting stuff up quickly, it can be such a time saver.

Pete