[Gllug] Fedora 6 out at 14:00

Pete Ryland pdr at pdr.cx
Tue Oct 24 19:20:08 UTC 2006

On 24/10/06, - Tethys <tethys at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/24/06, Pete Ryland <pdr at pdr.cx> wrote:
>
> > The difference isn't so much yum vs apt IMO, but instead it's deb vs rpm
>
> No it's not. From what you've claimed, it's Distro A vs Distro B.
> Policy like that is governed by the distribution, not by the package
> format or the dependency resolution mechanism.

Indeed, you snipped the end of my sentence:

> > and I'm not even talking about the file formats. Deb packages have a
very
> > strict policy before being blessed by the distro

Sorry if I wasn't clearer.  In fact in terms of the file format and rpm
utility itself, rpm is arguably the stronger, being very flexible and well
documented.

There's nothing
> stopping an RPM based distribution from adopting a similar policy, or
> a dpkg based one from violating that policy. I'd expect any distro
> blessed package to just install out of the box without problems
> whether it's an RPM of dpkg[1]. Like you say, requiring it to be
> configured and ready to run on install is a different matter, and
> comes down to personal taste...

Yes, sometimes you don't really want something to be running immediately
after install, but it is often useful to have a working configuration to
start from.

[1] This hasn't always been true for me with either type of package,
> although RH has mostly been good with this of late, where recent
> versions of Debian still screw it up in places.

I'm not saying Debian (or Ubuntu for that matter) is perfect, far from it,
just that their policy is quite strict leading to .debs, even ones not
included with the disto, being IMO of greater quality, or at least more
consistent.  Just my opinion.  I'm actually quite looking forward to trying
out Fedora Core 6, but will wait for a week or so.  Has anyone got any first
impressions?  How is the eye candy?  I'm just trying out Beryl today too,
and it seems quite quick and stable.

Pete