[Gllug] Open Source lobbying meeting - UKUUG London Thurs 19th

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Sat Oct 14 08:24:15 UTC 2006

On Sat 14 Oct, John Hearns wrote:

> Yes, but Open Source software may be supplied by companies. I should
> imagine that RedHat, SuSE/Novell etc. bid for contracts.
> And I've worked on a good few tender submissions myself (read hours of
> effort and benchmarking on the latest whizzy processors).
>
> Remember, it is free as in speech not as in beer.
> I agree that some free beer is nice too (by that I mean that basing your
>    solution on freely downloadable code, say an Apache webserver, is a
> Good Thing TM, as someone else years later should be able to pick up
> support of the solution if necessary)

   Totally agreed, but the very small number of large organisations which
regularly submit tenders often have departments dedicated to searching the
lists and supplying tenders, and providing all the glossy presentations and
inducements in the "right" locations. They are often delighted to provide a
system that does not require the customer (or their own staff) to change to
a new system, espcially a system that does not give added profits through
licence sales and continued servicing.

--
Chris Bell