[Gllug] Thinkpad T20

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Sun Oct 22 16:11:35 UTC 2006

john gennard wrote:
[snip]
> a. IBM's web site says:-
>
>     Battery life: 3 hours without recharge (I get that!)
>
>     Charge Time: System operational: 6 hours maximum
>                  Power off: 2.5 hours maximum
>                     (That I don't get)

I would read that as meaning that the battery will take longer to charge
if you're using the machine than if it's switched off whilst the battery
charges.  Presumably the charger provides only so much current which can
either be split between running the machine and charging the battery
(producing the longer charge time) or solely devoted to charging the
battery (producing the shorter charge time).

> b. If I'm going to use this thing as intended, I presume I
>     will have to use two batteries - one in use and a
>     spare already charged. What do most people do. Are
>     there standalone mains battery chargers?

I've had a laptop with two batteries, but I've never had a separate
charger.  In the case of mine, you could have either one battery and a
CD drive or two batteries.

If you needed to arrange for the maximum possible run time and your
machine doesn't support two simultaneous batteries then presumably you
could charge them up sequentially in the machine, then use them in the
same way.

HTH
John
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk