[Gllug] OT : adsl line connection speeds

Minty mintywalker at gmail.com
Mon Sep 11 10:13:00 UTC 2006

On 9/11/06, Anthony Newman <anthony.newman at ossified.net> wrote:
> How long have you been on 8Mbit? If it's less than 2 weeks or so you
> won't see full speeds as there is rate limiting during the line
> characterisation process.

About 3 months.

> You should ultimately be able to achieve a download rate close to the
> line sync speed. Contention will most likely limit that to some variable
> amount below that. I had early experience with the (resold) BT 8Mb
> product, which was obviously heavily contended in comparison with a
> previous slower service, presumably as it was rolled out countrywide
> practically overnight.

I suspect I'm in a very very heavily contended area - lots of student
flats around the place.

But given that, if I moved to a 2Mbit package, I presume I'd see much
the same speeds and save myself a bundle?  I'm quite happy to pay a
premium for a faster line, but paying the premium and not getting
anything extra seems rather daft.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk