[Gllug] OT: Mac OS X for a linux user

Tom Haddon mthaddon at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 7 16:12:47 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-09-07 at 16:41 +0100, Simon Morris wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-09-07 at 15:35 +0100, Myke Lyons wrote:
>
> > > And lastly - you are opting into the world of proprietary software
> > > which isn't really a good step IMHO.
> > This is going to be entirely up to you.  I think there is more than
> > one way to promote open software, although as ~sm says you would be
> > opting for more proprietary software.
>
> Gah, I don't know... you introduce someone to a mailing list and next
> thing you know they're debating against you!
>
> Free Software is available for the Mac, this is very true. However, most
> of the Free graphical applications just aren't nice to use as they are
> on GNU/Linux and an X11 based server.
>
> The terminal applications work fine.
>
> If you are the kind of person who's going to go out and buy a Mac I'd be
> fairly surprised if you use a lot of graphical applications which all
> look a little strange on OS X.
>
> Good example is Office software - the choice boils down to Microsoft
> Office, Appleworks or OpenOffice.org. Both OpenOffice for the Mac and
> the Neo-Office port just aren't as graphically pleasing to use as the
> native Aqua ones.
>
> Of course there are a few native applications that are Free - CyberDuck
> and so on.
>
> My guess is that if you buy a Mac and use OS X you'll be agreeing to a
> lot more restrictive licences and paying more for your software.

I guess it all depends what you want from Free Software. I was
contemplating switching to Mac about a year back, but decided to stick
with Linux because I felt that it was a little strange to be interested
in and trying to advocate for alternatives to proprietary OSes when I
was running one myself. Personally I think Mac is vastly preferable to
Windows, but that's not saying much.

> Thanks
>
> ~sm

The forest is safe because a lion lives therein and the lion is safe because
it lives in a forest.  Likewise the friendship of persons rests on mutual help.
		-- Laukikanyay.

Random quotes brought to you by fortune.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk