[Gllug] Thoughts on Scalix

Morfidus morfidus at googlemail.com
Wed Sep 27 15:52:18 UTC 2006

One of the directors has his hands on a few other companies and says
that a support company he uses could do it for about a grand (MS SMB
business server??) to get it up and running. But then I would have to
keep it going.

 I quite like my odds of getting scalix, but I have been on their
website and I prefer to have the opinion of a real admin.

On 27/09/06, Dani Pardo <jiffier at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/27/06, Morfidus <morfidus at googlemail.com> wrote:
> > I don't think I explained myself incorrectly, I am looking for the
> > opinion of somebody who was experience with Scalix only.
> >
> >  Bosses won't let me play with integrating bits and bobs, they want a
> > "fully integrated package" (their double speak)  and the "ability of
> > restoring mail in the way Exchange+Outlook does it", which I guess
> > could be easily done with imap.
> >

>  I don't know your boss the way you do, but I'd say that all
> alternatives will just seem poor to him, because he's almost already
> convinced that Exchange is what he "needs". So you won't win offering
> alternatives.
>
>   Instead, give him a serious study of cost. If you want Exchange,
> you'll have to pay for an AD sever too, and a AD backup server too.
> Sum prices, licenses, maintenances and show that paper sheet full of
> zeros to you boss. Ah, of course, don't forget that you'll need a
> backup utility, like Arcserve or such. Windows server comes with that
> crappy portal that may require an SQL server too. That means hirirng
> more people, and training. You'll need a MS certified (monkey? :)
>
>    Anyway, you get the idea. It worked for me.
> --

---
 Nevermind MS
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk