[Gllug] OT : adsl line connection speeds

Jack Bertram jack at jbertram.net
Mon Sep 11 10:26:44 UTC 2006

* Minty <mintywalker at gmail.com> [060911 11:15]:
> On 9/11/06, Anthony Newman <anthony.newman at ossified.net> wrote:
> >You should ultimately be able to achieve a download rate close to the
> >line sync speed. Contention will most likely limit that to some variable
> >amount below that. I had early experience with the (resold) BT 8Mb
> >product, which was obviously heavily contended in comparison with a
> >previous slower service, presumably as it was rolled out countrywide
> >practically overnight.
>
> I suspect I'm in a very very heavily contended area - lots of student
> flats around the place.
>
> But given that, if I moved to a 2Mbit package, I presume I'd see much
> the same speeds and save myself a bundle?  I'm quite happy to pay a
> premium for a faster line, but paying the premium and not getting
> anything extra seems rather daft.

The other thing you could try is to pay extra for prioritised service -
e.g., Eclipse (among others) allows you to buy an 8Mb service at four
different quality levels in which the contention is the same but they
route packets with different priorities.  I have the top level and am
very happy with the speed of the service