[Gllug] Thoughts on Scalix

Jason Clifford jason at ukfsn.org
Wed Sep 27 16:03:06 UTC 2006

On Wed, 27 Sep 2006, Morfidus wrote:

> One of the directors has his hands on a few other companies and says
> that a support company he uses could do it for about a grand (MS SMB
> business server??) to get it up and running. But then I would have to
> keep it going.

So tell him that to maintain an Exchange server of any kind you would need
proper training from a reputable supplier. Point to the more expensive
Learning Tree courses.

How many users are there?

Given the price of MS SBS it is entirely possible that if you need only a
handful of client licenses and your needs are very simple it could be
installed for about £1k however basic installation of any platform is just
the beginning of the costs and no support company installs at a very low
price unless they are certain that they can make the profit elsewhere.

>From what you say however it seems that the decision has already been
made. Is the director in question a technical director of any description?
If not then you have a card pulling horse situation - the business should
trust it's IT staff to select the right solution based upon the business
need expressed.

Jason
--
UKFSN.ORG			Finance Free Software while you surf the 'net
http://www.ukfsn.org/		  up to 8Mb ADSL Broadband from just £14.98

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk